Health Insurance Navigator
Lobstermen are independent business owners. They don’t have a Human Resources department to help them understand how to enroll in health insurance. Many lobstermen have never had health insurance, or have been under-insured. The MLA has partnered with Fishermen’s Partnership Support Services (FPSS) and is serving as a “Navigator” to help Maine lobstermen and their families understand new Affordable Care Act requirements including health insurance options, subsidies and penalties. The MLA is committed to ensuring that Maine lobstermen have the information they need to make an informed decision when it comes to health insurance enrollment.
- Open enrollment ended February 15, 2015
- You must be enrolled by December 15, 2014 for coverage to begin January 1, 2015.
- Plans must be affordable (not to exceed 9.5% of an individual’s income)
- Plans must cover 10 essential health benefits
- Out of pocket max is $6,600/individual or $13,200/family, no lifetime limits
- No denial for pre-existing conditions during open enrollment
- Catastrophic plans offered for people under age 30
- You must have health insurance in 2015, or pay a penalty
- REMEMBER: You qualify for Medicare at 65
Get a Quote
- Maine Community Health Options (MCHO) (http://www.maineoptions.org/Individuals-Families/Compare-Quote-Plans)
- Harvard Pilgrim (https://www.harvardpilgrim.org/portal/page?_pageid=213,5053992&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL)
Ready to Enroll
Health Insurance Marketplace (www.healthcare.gov)
Health Insurance Marketplace Call Center, open 24/7, call 1-800-318-2596
Health Insurance Marketplace paper application: http://marketplace.cms.gov/applications-and-forms/individual-short-form.pdf
Instructions for paper application: http://marketplace.cms.gov/applications-and-forms/individual-short-form-instructions.pdf
Health Insurance Marketplace Resources for Mainers (www.enroll207.com)
Subsidy Calculator: Kaiser Family Foundation (www.kff.org/health-reform/)
Consumers for Affordable Health Care (CAHC) (www.mainecahc.org)
We are required by law to protect the privacy of information used to apply for health insurance through a Health Insurance Exchange, that may reveal your identity. Information here means your Personally Identifiable Information. We are also required by law to provide you with a copy of this Privacy Notice which describes our legal duties and information privacy practices, as well as the rights you have with respect to your Information.
If you need help with your application, please sign the MLA Authorization Form and send it to April. The form allows April to assist you with your application and to talk with you concerning your Personally Identifiable Information. Download the MLA Authorization Form here.
Questions on the Health Insurance Marketplace?
Contact April Gilmore McNutt at 207-967-4555
© 2012 Maine Lobstermen's Association