Who do you call when you have a lobstering issue? The MLA, because we’ve had your back for over 60 years! Our voice is heard at the federal, state, and local levels. We work for all the lobstermen in the State of Maine. As a member, you have access to knowledge, membership in a community that values and preserves the industry and pride because your membership benefits the whole industry. Did we mention the industry discounts statewide?
The MLA keeps our members up to date through our monthly newsletter and weekly emails covering the latest news. We feel a well informed membership becomes the backbone of the organization. Check our Events page for the latest meetings of the Zone Councils, DMR, Herring and more as well as special events that offer opportunities to learn more about the industry.
Over 125 businesses support the MLA. Many of them offer discounts including vessel insurance through Smithwick & Mariners Insurance. We encourage our members to patronize these businesses and thank them for their support.
Become part of the solution. Join the MLA and connect.
A Voice and an Ear
- Leadership. MLA Members nominate and elect the MLA Board to lead the organization and connectwith you.
- Have questions? Concerns? MLA is listening; we are just a phone call or an e-mail away.
- Social Media. Find us on Facebook and Instagram, too!
Vessel Insurance and Discounts
- Comprehensive vessel insurance at competitive rates through Smithwick & Mariners Insurance.
- Excellent claims record and no required lay-up period.
- Covers researchers working on your vessel if you carry P&I coverage.
- 5% discount for completing the Drill Conductor course.
- Discounts at participating businesses, including MLA swag.
Health Care Assistance
- Health insurance Navigator to help you, your family, and friends understand health insurance and help you enroll.
- E-mail roundup. Weekly e-mail of the latest lobster industry news.
- Price report. Weekly snapshot of lobster, bait and fuel prices along the coast.
Got your Hat?
- Free hat and bumper sticker each year to show that you are a proud MLA member!
When you join as a:
Harvester, Harvester Family, Jr/Sr Harvester, or First-Time Member:
• Voting privileges to nominate and elect members to MLA’s Board of Directors
• MLA membership card and sticker
• Exclusive discounts at participating businesses
• Discounted vessel insurance through Smithwick & Mariners Insurance
• News compendium emailed each week, including lobster, bait, and fuel price report for the coast
• 12 monthly issues of Landings
• Free classified ads in Landings
• 10% discount on MLA merchandise
• MLA hat
• All above benefits, plus,
• MLA t-shirt
• ½ price on MLA gift membership
Sternman or Friend:
• MLA membership card
• MLA hat
• The monthly publication, Landings
• News compendium emailed each week
• Annual monthly subscription to Landings
• Searchable business listing on MLA web site
• Business name listed monthly in Landings
• Annual Business Directory insert listing in the March issue of Landings
• MLA membership window cling
• MLA hat
• All Keeper benefits, plus:
• Business listing by category in each monthly issue of Landings ($300 value)
• Advertisement in special business section in the March issue of Landings ($55 value)
• News compendium emailed each week, including lobster, bait, and fuel price report for the coast ($500 value)
Business Discount Program:
- 25% off Select membership
- Business promotion through a monthly ad in Landings and other MLA materials