With major issues facing Maine’s lobster industry, Your membership matters more than ever. Join or renew today.
Membership Renew, join or find out more about membership
Business Discounts Are you an MLA member? Check out discounts at local businesses
Business Directory Support the businesses that support us.
Monthly MLA Pages Find out what’s going on in the lobster industry!
Want to know more about what we do? Watch this short video! https://youtu.be/jExXuyosZs0
“For the past 62 years the Maine Lobstermen’s Association has advocated for lobstermen from all parts of the Maine coast. Its longevity is due to the men and women who make up its membership. Staying strong and relevant means successfully drawing new members into the association year after year..”
Read more here
Support the MLA Legal Defense Fund
The MLA is fighting to save Maine’s lobster fishery. We’ve made great progress but we need YOUR support to continue the fight. Please make your generous donation to MLA’s Legal Defense Fund today. More info here
3/22/21 – Maine Lobstermen’s Association Responds to Federal Whale Proposals Raises Concern over Future of the Fishery and the Need for Better Data
“The MLA will not let over-reaching regulations based on inaccurate data erase the Maine lobster fishery and our fishing heritage,” said Patrice McCarron, executive director of the Maine Lobstermen’s Association (MLA), in response to two major federal rulemakings proposed this winter intended to protect endangered North Atlantic right whales. Last year, a federal court ruled that the lobster fishery cannot operate without revised rules in place READ MORE
Diabetes Risk Prevention Program Available to Maine Lobstermen
If you’re overweight, physically inactive, or 45+ years old, you may be at risk for this silent killer. As an MLA member, you can delay or even reverse the onset of diabetes with The Preventive Plan, a wellness program we’re making 100% free to you… Space is limited, so find out if you are at risk, and reserve your seat today: https://www.uspm.com/dpp/
Looking for specific information? Check the links below
- Tags #coastalcommunities #marinescience #protecttheGOM #savemainelobstermen #umaine #zoommeeting 5k adhoc Alewives Allagash Brewing ALWTRP Amendment 21 Annual Meeting aquaculture arts and sciences ASFMC ASMFC Atlantic Herring Atlantic Salmon Barbeque BBQ Beals Island beer Belfast benefit Blueberries blueberry Board meeting boardmeeting Boat building boat races Boats boatshopworkshop BOEM book signing Boothbay Canadian Lobster carnival charity Christmas clams climate climate change clouds coast Coast Guard cocktails community Contra dance conversation cookout Coral crafts Damariscotta Darby's Days out dining Dinner Directors Meeting DMR Downeast Lobstermen's Association Draft Addendum II Draft Amendment II drill conductor training Eastport Eastport Salmon Festival ecosystem Eel eels El Faro elvers enrollment family friendly festival film fisheries Fishery Fishing Communities food food donation free Friendship fundraiser gear marking gearinnovationsummit ghost gear GMRI Grant Submission deadline Green Bee Green crab. Sea Grant groundfish gulf of Maine habitat halibut Harbor Fest harbor planning harborplanning Harpswell health insurance healthcare hearings herring history human heatlh Island Jambalaya dinner jonah crab kennebunkport kids event Kittery Knitting laboratory Landings Leadership learning lecture Legal Defense Fund lesser known fish species Lights lobster Lobster Advisory Council Lobster Boat lobster boat race lobster boat races Lobster Draft Addendum lobster fest lobster festival Lobster license list lobster quality lobster roll Lobster Zone Council lobstermen Long Island Long Island Maine Luke's Lobster Machias Maine beer maine center for coastal fisheries maine fisheries Maine Fishermen's Forum maine fishing Maine history maine lobster Maine Maritime Museum Maine seafood maine-built mainehistory mainelobster mainelobstermensforum mainemaritimemuseum mainetourism makeitnewshell marine history maritime marketing MCFA meeting meetings menhaden microbes microorganisms mid coast mittens MLA MLBC MLCA benefit MLMC mollusks monthly meeting music mussels National Lobster day NEFMC NMFS NOAA novascotia ocean conservancy ocean planning ocean water offshore wind Oil drilling open enrollment open house open mic Otto's Pizza oyster Oysters paintings pizza pizzza polar exploration Portland Prelude Primo Restaurant Recycle redfish Relief Fund research Research Proposal right whales river herring Rockand Rockland Rockland Harbor rocklandmaine rockweed rope Safety Safety training sailors Valentines Salmon Salmon Sunday salvage Santa Claus Scallop scallops Schoodic Schoodic Peninsula Sea Scallop Sea State lectures sea urchins seafood seafood celebration Seafood Expo North America seaweed Shellfish shrimp silent auction skate soft shell clam spawning stock assesment Stonington Stonington Lobster boat races striped bass support surf clams Survival training sustainability sustainable fishing Tenants Harbor Tier 4 Engines town meeting Trade show trainings trucks Tuna Union Restaurant USCG Vinalhaven Virginia weather webinar WERU Whale rules. whales Wind Winter Harbor yarmouth Zone A Zone B Zone C Zone D Zone E Zone F Zone G Zones A
Registration required go to: umaine.edu/mitchellcenter to register.
In this talk, Josh will describe the recent emergence of alternative seafood networks in North America and their role in supporting resilient fishing communities.He will also discuss future work being done to better integrate seafood into ongoing discussions about local and regional food systems.
Safety and Survival Training
Prepare for a full day of hands-on training in fighting fires, plugging leaks, and swimming to a life raft in a survival suit. This course is designed for all fishermen, including crewmen, to learn of hone fundamental survival skills like making a MAYDAY call, lighting flares and rescuing a person that falls overboard.
Drill Conductor Certification:
After completing the 1-day Safety and Survival Training Course, fishermen spend a second day learning how to lead monthly, on-vessel safety drills that are critical for building muscle memory and ensuring the crew retains their skills. Meet U.S. Coast Guard requirements under 46 CFR 28.270(c).
This free training is sponsored by Fishing Partnerships
Informational Advance Check in
- Sign up to volunteer at the protest
- Pick up flyers and materials for signs
- Buy shirts to support Maine fishermen
- Ask questions, get more info, share ideas
Harpswell – Saturday April 17th, 12 – 4 pm, 11 Sea Escape Lane, Bailey Island
Contact Chris McIntire (406-0277) Herman Coombs (807-8596) or Matt Gilley (319-9590)
Trenton, Saturday April 17th, 12 – 4 pm, 150 Bar Harbor Rd, (Lobster207)
For more information contact Ginny Olsen (204-0556) or email@example.com
Warren, Sunday April 18th, 1pm – 4 pm, 130 Atlantic Hgwy (George’s River Bait Co.)
Contact Gerry Cushman (975-5258) Dustin Delano (542-7241) Jim Wotton (592-5817)